Friday, May 24, 2013

The Magic of Coconut Oil

I started using coconut oil in my homemade body scrubs a year or so ago. This stuff moisturizes like nothing I have ever used before! I, unfortunately, have inherited my mother's dry skin so I have been on the hunt for most of my life for the perfect moisturizer. I do believe I have finally found it!

In certain parts of the world women have long since been using coconut oil on their hair and skin. Why is western society just now catching on? We've always been told that oils and fats were "bad for our skin" and "bad for our hair". Why do pacific islander women have such beautiful, shiny hair and glowing complexions? Coconut oil!!!

This jar has lasted a year for me!

You can buy coconut oil at any health foods store. Be sure to get 100% virgin, natural, unscented, unprocessed oil. It will be solid at first so you will need to heat it up in hot water, in the microwave or in a double boiler. After it cools it will return to solid form.

Here are some ways to start using your new favorite product:

Hair: When you need a deep conditioning treatment, heat up your oil and apply it to your hair while damp (root to tip) and leave it on for 15-20 minutes or overnight. Then shampoo your hair and style as you normally do. You can also use it as a leave in treatment to tame frizz or fly-away hairs. Remember that a little goes a long way. You don't want to walk out of the house looking like a greaser.



Body: As soon as you get out of the bath or shower, while your skin is still damp, apply the oil all over your body to lock in moisture and give you superior smoothness. I like to add a little bit of oil to my bath... but don't plan on shaving or washing your hair with oil in your bath- yuck!


Face: Throw out your old, ineffective, water-based moisturizers and use coconut oil instead. Again- a little goes a long way! You will be amazed at how well your makeup blends and how much softer your complexion is! It is supposed to be good for acne prone skin as well. A word of caution- if your pores are clogged it will cause you to purge for a week or two. Don't despair! It will clear up once  your skin gets used to it!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments you may have for Mackenzie.